Sunday, December 6, 2009

Grumpy in Wal-Mart

Yesterday, Jason and I went shopping for gifts for the children.  This year we've decided to spend less (for financial and spiritual reasons) . . . so they get 3 gifts each. I usually LOVE buying their presents.  I am a real sucker for all the Christmas merchandise.  I love the Christmas music in the stores and everyone shopping for their families.  I am very easily distracted.  I start to feel that I really need new dishes and the kids should have this toy AND that toy.  But Jason is with me and he is a saver not a spender (and not easily swayed by the latest marketing scheme).   So as we're sort of window shopping (because I can't decide on the 3 things the kids will like that will fit into our budget)  I start to get depressed and a little grumpy thinking how much more fun this trip would be if we could just forget the budget and fill the buggy with "stuff"  our kids would love to have on Christmas morning.   Heart check -- Christmas is not about presents.
So when we get home it hits me that Yes, we are taking away a part of Christmas that I had as a child -- lots of gifts.  But we can't just take that away and say "Kids enjoy Christmas, it's about Jesus not presents."  We've got to replace the worldly things with something from God. We need to show them how God can bring us joy that lasts longer than the joy we get from a gift.   So today we're going to ask our children how they think Jesus wants us to celebrate His birthday and see what they come up with.  I am looking forward to what the Lord has for us -- something that will satisfy more than gifts under the tree.
I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. We have been trying to do more instead of give more. The kids really look forward to the things we do as a family. I applaud your decision- I know how hard it is to say no!

    ReplyDelete