Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Cooking for the week

This week has been really hectic with school starting back.  We started Classical Conversations again after a LONG break, I started keeping a toddler in my home full -time :)  and I've been keeping a baby part-time.  Add to this trying to get my older ones interested in their school work amidst all the distractions and it's kinda busy around here.  So. . . in order to simplify my life, I thought I would spend Sunday cooking for the week.  I made a few dishes and put them in the freezer and then prepared some meat to throw in the crock pot on some days.  Anyway, it has been awesome.  I'm gonna do it again this weekend.  In case anyone is interested, here are two REALLY easy crock pot entrees.

Crock Pot Pork Loin

Pork loin (Boston Butt) -- they were on sale for 1/2 off at Harris Teeter
1 coke

Trim the fat off the pork loin
Put in crock pot
Pour coke over meat
Cook on Low for 10 hours

Sounds weird, but it's really tender and has a great flavor


Rotissere Chicken in the Crock Pot

This idea came from the Year of Slow Cooking  blog -- I just changed it a little

Whole chicken
2 tbsp BBQ sauce
2 tspn salt
1/2  tspn pepper
1 tspn paprika
1 tspn onion powder
1/2 tspn thyme
1 tspn. italian seasoning

Skin chicken and take out inside parts
Rub bird with BBQ sauce
Mix spices and cover chicken with mixture -- both sides
Put chicken in oiled crock pot -- breast side down
Cook on low for 8 hours or  on high 4 hours

By the way, Aldi carries all types of spices for only $1.09 each -- the big sizes.  I was thrilled to find them because usually spices are sooo expensive.

If anyone has any other easy cooking ideas, please share.

Happy Wednesday!

Jennifer




1 comment:

  1. i went to the year of slow cooking and got some AWESOME recipes! thanks for that. looking forward to seeing you guys soon :)

    ReplyDelete